Perhaps you have been contemplating it, but now you are seriously considering making a move to a senior living community.
Choosing the perfect place to live can be an overwhelming process that seems daunting. If you are in the beginning stages, it may seem like there is a mountain of information to consider.
Here’s a checklist to help lead you on your journey.
- Start planning early
- Make a list of what is important to you, such as:
- Maintenance-free living
- On-campus health care
- Five-star dining
- Resident led vacations
- Cultural activities
- Pet friendly
- On-campus gym and group exercise classes
- Do a lot of research – narrow down your top communities to two or three choices
- Plan a visit
- Experience how the residents’ interact
- Revisit your top community choices
- Ask a representative from the community questions, such as:
- What is the staff-to-resident ratio?
- What is included in the fees?
- How much does it cost to live here?
- What health care support is provided?
- What are the benefits of a full continuum of care?
- What are the lifestyle and financial benefits of renting?
- Take notes
- Compare the positive and negative aspects of each community
- Discuss your options with a family member, spouse or community representative
- Make sure all your needs and wants are met at the community of your choice
- Make a decision and stick with it
- Celebrate your new adventure!